Thursday, March 31, 2016

8 - Hazeline and Josephine



Hazeline and Josephine, Midway 2003


     Hazeline and Josephine were twin sisters who sometimes looked after me when I was a small child.  They were little more than a dozen years my senior, so they would have still been in their teens then, and their job was presumably confined to baby sitting.  They were the children of Leanna who worked for many years for Renata Fairchild (see musings no. 4, "Renata").  Hazel and Jo sometimes worked for Renata also, helping out in the kitchen.

     Growing up in the Sandhills as black females was certainly no bed of roses in the 1940's.  As soon as they were old enough, they headed North where life was supposed to be easier.  In many ways it was, but they were disappointed to discover that the same racism they had grown up with was just as prevalent in Philadelphia or New York as back in Aberdeen.   Prejudice manifested itself differently, often more discreetly, but it was never far away.          

     They eventually found relative financial security, working in a variety of factory jobs, sometimes taking domestic work. They had several husbands between them, and plenty of children and grandchildren.  When I next saw them in the 1990's, Hazel was already a proud great grandmother.

     For as soon as they were able to retire, they had what seemed to me to be an odd dream --to move back to Aberdeen!   And even odder in my view, the first person they thought to reacquaint themselves with was one of their old employers, my mother.

     Mother was never anything of a liberal, but neither was she particularly retrograde.  During the South's difficult period of desegregation, after the federal laws had long been passed, she tended to say that she wasn't against change, just thought it needed more time.  Most of the blacks felt that a hundred years or more was plenty long enough!

     Things may have been tough when the twins were growing up, but by the time they returned as mature women, life in the South had profoundly changed.  More than the North, they told me more than once.  For people like themselves, of modest means, living in the Sandhills now seemed infinitely preferable to the alternative in a big city ghetto.   I think Mother was as happy to see them as they were to see her, and she enthusiastically  piled them into the car, and off they went to visit all the old ladies --Juanita, Gala, Ulma and the others-- who had once been employers to them or to their mother. Everyone was truly delighted to see them and to welcome them back to the area.

     As children, they couldn't do most of the things that I would have taken for granted.   You tend to  read more about separate water fountains or riding in the back of the bus, but these were ultimately minor inconveniences when you think that they couldn't even go into the drugstore to spend their money.  And of course they weren't allowed anywhere near the town lake!  So it must have been a special satisfaction to return to their hometown with all the rights they were once deprived of.


       We went with my friend Judy (another one of their cares) to a deli in Pinehurst some years ago.   Pinehurst is a particularly chic golf resort a few miles west of Aberdeen, and I hadn't realized what an exceptional treat it would be for them.   Josephine told me that, growing up, she would have never dreamed of  one day going to Pinehurst for lunch.

     Their younger brother, Lacy, had also returned to Aberdeen after a successful career as a brick mason.   He had built a fine home for himself, and when his sisters arrived, he had the means and talent to convert Leanna's old run down  cabin into a  comfortable and attractive home, too.

 

    Hazel's pride and joy was Brandon, her five year old great grandchild.  His mother was dealing with her own problems, and Hazel's big dream was to have him start school in Aberdeen where she felt he could have a real head start.

     Though already  over 70, she and Jo brought Brandon  South to begin first grade in the new Aberdeen Primary  school.   The experiment only lasted a year, but he got a taste of  community life and personalized small town schooling before returning the next year to Philadelphia.  
He was an especially bright and personable little boy, and the year in Aberdeen seemed to be a success.
 
     Unfortunately, the twins were too old by this time to be raising a small child, and they had no choice but to return Brandon to the care of one of his  grandmothers at the end of the year.  It broke Hazel's heart, but she had the satisfaction of having tried.
    
     When Brenda arrived on the scene, they seemed crazy about her, and we always visited with them when in North Carolina.  I never actually remembered their caring for me as a small child, but I developed a special affection for them in later years.

     Josephine had never learned to drive, and she always depended on Hazel for getting around.  By the time the twins reached their 80s, she was feeling more and more isolated living on the outskirts of Aberdeen.   In 2014, a few months before Hazel's death at 87, she moved back to Philadelphia.   The last I heard, she was missing Aberdeen.  I wish I had a more upbeat ending, but then that's life.




Your input is welcomed:  frank.pleasants@libertysurf.fr


CROSS REFERENCING … a look at other postings
Renata is also featured in  "Renata" from  Musings and Meanderings No. 4; Mother in "A Christmas Gift ... or the Little Red Lamp", Hotel Musings No. 51  (to access, click on highlighted titles).





   

21 comments:

  1. Wonderful story of times past and the changes that were so necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne in CharlottesvilleMarch 31, 2016 at 2:51 AM

    Enjoyed your piece very much. You might suggest readers check out my book LISTENING TO COLOR: Blacks and Whites in Aberdeen, North Carolina, available from Amazon, where their moves North and back were chronicled. I am grateful you told me about the twins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent piece, Frank!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sue in ConnecticutMarch 31, 2016 at 6:26 AM

    What a lovely story..like you I wish it had a happier ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another lovely story. I remember you speaking to me about the twins. They were true survivors. Yes, we Whites do take so much for granted. God knows what humiliations and sufferings they went through. But the end of your story is a good one, Frank. They returned to Aberdeen and had good years there. They helped Brandon. Was it not possible for Josephine to remain in Aberdeen; to move closer to the town? She most likely had relatives whom she went to live with in Philly. That was probably better than being all alone. Old age is not always a happy time for many people. I'm sure she has great faith and that will see her through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joel in FredericksburgMarch 31, 2016 at 8:43 AM

    As always, I enjoyed your post, and this one about Hazeline & Josephine brought back memories of .... of growing up
    in southern Louisiana a generation before you. For most of those years, our cook was Lizzie Pilette, a tiny black woman descended from a Pygmy tribe. Every morning before I went to school, it was my duty to take down from the
    top shelves in the kitchen everything she needed to make lunch. When I went off to Tulane my parents bought her a ladder as my replacement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marilyn in MichiganMarch 31, 2016 at 8:46 AM

    I do so enjoy your ”musings”

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenny in FayettevilleMarch 31, 2016 at 10:01 AM

    Loved your account of segregation. We had vertical segregation. Blacks could go anywhere as long as they had a white child to tend to. Another well done Musing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barbara in PennsylvaniaMarch 31, 2016 at 10:14 AM

    Brought back so many of my childhood memories....thanks Frank for sharing this....always enjoy reading all of your Musings and Meanderings...especially when your memories are of those in the Sandhills.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Always interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Once again, a great story from another time!
    LateNLA

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your "musings" always stir my memories of our shared times together.
    Dickie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your memories ... Love seeing your pics and posts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. MaryLou in AberdeenApril 1, 2016 at 5:58 AM

    Another good one. Thank you for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Martin in AmsterdamApril 1, 2016 at 6:01 AM

    Thank you Frank, again excellent. It reminded me of similar people and situations I have known in Indonesia and South Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent piece, as always, Frank, and I like the picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your perspective in regards to another time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have the enviable knack of taking an everyday story and turning it into something very readable and interesting! I wonder what became of Brandon? There are similarities here with what was happening in America and the situation in Kenya when Bren and I were children. Thankfully it is very different now and all races are accepted everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The picture of Hazeline and Josephine is lovely. They look as though they were able to cope with anything that came their way.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So wonderful yet sad to have you jolt my memory of days gone by. We lived in a wonderful place for us but a crippling place for others. Kasey

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dwaine in TaylorsvilleApril 8, 2016 at 11:11 AM

    I totally love your perspective and the way that you flood my mind with memories of my past! Thank you! I am sure that you have read the book or seen the movie "The Help." I was blessed to be raised by Lila - an amazing lady who nurtured me, fed me, and loved me beyond measure. She was a part of the Coley's family for years. She started her tenure with my grandparents, and when my parents married, she would do "domestic chores" for my parents once a week. When I came along, she would be at our home everyday - Monday through Sunday, and she would go to my grandparents two afternoons a week to help them. I fondly remember fresh baked yeast rolls every day! Desserts for lunch and dinner. My clothes starched and ironed, "'cause you is my little prince!" Reading the book and then watching the film has caused me to wonder - I really wonder IF Lila knew how much she was loved and appreciated! She had a terrific impact on my life. Frank, you bring up all of these wonderful memories through your writing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete